The village stood on a small plateau on the southern slope of a mountain, facing south. Wadi al-Ghadir ran in an east-west direction at the foot of the mountain. A mountain range to the south separated the village land from that of Dayr 'Amr. Dirt paths linked the village to the Jerusalem−Jaffa highway, which passed a short distance to the north, and other dirt paths linked it to neighboring villages. As its name suggested, the village was built next to a khirba; remains in this khirba probably dated to the Byzantine period. During the late nineteenth century Khirbat al-'Umur was described as a small hamlet. The village plan was rectangular and its houses were built of stone. Two main streets intersected at the center of the village, dividing it into four sections. The residents were Muslim. Their drinking water was supplied by several nearby springs, one of which had the same name as the village. The villagers cultivated fruit, olives, and grain, and irrigated some of these crops, especially those in Wadi al-Ghadir, a strip of land stretching along the southern side of the village. In 1944/45 a total of 1,279 dunums was allotted to cereals; 497 dunums were irrigated or used for orchards, of which 98 dunums were for olive cultivation.
The village was occupied on 21 October 1948; this implies that it was encroached upon by the Israeli army's Har'el Brigade as part of Operation Ha-Har (see 'Allar, Jerusalem sub-disctrict). No details are given about the occupation of this village in particular, but Israeli historian Benny Morris states that the general pattern was that villagers fled under military pressure or were expelled by the Israeli forces that entered their villages. In all, thousands of people were displaced as a result of the operation, some camping out for weeks in surrounding valleys until they were forced out yet again by Israeli forces.
Giv'at Ye'arim (158132) was founded in 1950 on village lands.
Stone rubble and window and door frames, partly hidden by wild grass, are scattered across the village site. Many stone terraces are visible. Cactuses grow on the east and north sides of the village site, and almond, olive, fig, and cypress trees grow on the village site itself and on the lands south of it. The village cemetery, to the south, is covered with dirt and grass but many graves are visible; tombstones stand at the head and foot of each one. The spring of 'Ayn al-'Umur and the stone structure around it can still be seen.